Hello and welcome back!
Here we are approaching the end of the first week in January. The year is getting off to a good start! I hope that in your world you are preparing to make this your best year ever in whatever it is you are desirous of accomplishing.
An idea occurred to me this morning and I decided to create a blog post about it. “What idea was that, Zach?” you may be asking. Here it is in a nutshell.
Many Christians face problems in today’s culture that need to be considered and addressed. I would like to mention some of these problems and address the ones that most people have brought to my attention in the course of my ministry.
Did Jesus Rise From the Dead?
Have you ever had doubts about Jesus’ resurrection? In other words, have you ever wondered or became concerned if Jesus really did rise on the third day? Maybe you have never faced this but it is amazing just how many Christians have faced this doubt sometime during their Christian walk. Let’s take this particular doubt and drill down to its common cause.
If you know of anyone who is concerned about this particular fear in their life or the life of someone they care about, please share this post with them.
“Don’t take my word for it. Look at the research.”
There have been doubters since Thomas expressed his disbelief in the upper room 3 days after the crucifixion of Christ. If you are or ever have doubted the truth of the resurrection, know that most Christians and even pastors have had their moments of doubt also.
Sometimes this doubt happens when prayers are not answered how the Christian feels they should. At other times, it just hits – out of the blue – for no apparent reason. Some Christians have voiced feeling abandoned by God and fears that the resurrection of Christ might have been a hoax.
What is the solution for this very insidious occurrence? Are you or have you ever experienced this doubt? The best method to face a fear is to look at the known and accepted facts surrounding what is feared.
The 11 Most Agreed On Facts
The following facts surrounding the resurrection story of Jesus are considered fact by most scholars today. In fact, even informed sceptics of the resurrection of Christ agree that these 12 facts hold up as being true:
1) Jesus Christ died from the debilitating effects of scourging and the crucifixion on the cross.
2) The disciples were totally despondent and indicated their loss of all hope by their actions and the witness of the Holy Scriptures.
3) Jesus was literally buried dead.
4) Many reputable scholars agree as fact that Jesus’s tomb was found empty a few days after his death.
5) The disciples who ran in fear and believed Jesus dead and gone boldly carried Christ’s message to the world, even when facing death to do so.
6) They taught a physical resurrection unashamedly and this claim is the center of Christianity today.
7) The disciples. as many as 500 at one time, claimed seeing the risen Jesus.
8) The disciples claimed the resurrection in the very city where the resurrection and those crucifying Christ lived without experiencing resistance to the claim.
9) The church spread quickly rather than the movement dying down after loss of the leader.
10) James, Jesus’ brother, went from an unbeliever to a believer after the resurrection.
11) The Apostle Paul, a chief Pharisee and the killer and persecutor of Christians, became one of the greatest Christians and major author of the New Testament.
The vast majority of doubt about the resurrection of Christ revolves around lack of reputable knowledge on the subject.
It must be remembered here that the best of scholars and learned skeptics agree on the above facts. No critic, from the 1st century until today has ever been successful in refuting the above facts.
Conclusion to This Brief Blog Post
Further reading and study of current research will inform the reader of the defense of the Resurrection of Christ and the researcher will discover that no proof claim to the falsity of the resurrection has ever held up. Don’t take my word for it. Look at the research. You can find reputable books on the subject by searching for the resurrection of Christ on Amazon or at your local library.
Next post, we will consider another issue that many Christians face.
Until next time,
QUESTION: What are some other issues Christians are challenged by today?